It has been sort of weird year for me and a lot of people. With all the chaos going on in Washington, horrible mass shootings, racial tensions, terrorists, catastrophic weather events like hurricanes and earthquakes — there is a lot to be sad and helpless about. Every day, I walk about 1.2 miles to work one way. On my walk I pass by about 10-20 vehicles or mobile homes in which people are living. They are homeless. I wish I knew how to help them.
Last year, my Mom died at the age of 88. We were close, so it was a major loss. I still have other family members alive, but the election has strained some of the relationships. Then, there have been financial challenges in my own life too…. With the cost of transportation and housing. It just never seems like you can get ahead.
Despite all of this, I have a lot to be thankful for this year. And I choose to have an attitude of gratitude every day and every minute of my life. Here is why:
- I am 53 years young! I can still move, dance, walk, run, etc.
- I am healthy! Some minor aches, but nothing major.
- I am employed. Twelve years at the same company.
- I am loved. Twenty-nine years together in a committed relationship.
- I am cherished. By friends and family who call, write, text and just hang out with me.
- I live in a beautiful city. Close to the ocean, the mountains, desert… not to mention lots of fun activities to do like hikes, movies, museums, concerts, etc.
- God loves me. Even when I don’t, I know that his love for me never wavers.
- My Mom is now one of my guardian angels watching out for me.
- I have a beautiful little bird named AJ that brightens my days with his song and his presence.
- I see the beauty all around me: flowers growing, birds chirping, blue sky, people of all races and colors.
I choose to have an Attitude of Gratitude in my life. I am constantly saying thanks for my many blessings. If you are blessed, pass it on. I am grateful for all that I have. And I encourage everyone to adopt a positive attitude to life. Let’s all help to lift each other up. We owe it to one another and the planet.
KiltManinSoCal is a Los Angeles-based writer and designer. Be sure to check out the latest T-Shirts for sale here, including Marriage Equality and Real Men Wear Kilts lines. They make great gifts for friends, family and loved ones.