When I was in Portland, OR a few years back visiting family, I saw some signs that said “Keep Portland Weird.” It got me to thinking, what is weird? So I went and looked up the definition (according to Dictionary.com): 1. involving or suggesting the supernatural; unearthly or uncanny: a weird sound; weird lights. 2. fantastic; bizarre: a weird getup. Also looked at an old Webster’s dictionary: they had the same first one, but added queer to the second one. The Portland website says: of strange or extraordinary character; unique.
I am sure that if you have followed this blog for long, you know that there are things about me that many would consider weird. These things have made my life interesting and fun. So here are my recommendations for bringing a little weirdness to your life.
- Wear something you might not usually wear. I remember one time going to the Santa Monica Pier and seeing a couple in their early 50’s. The guy was wearing a purple thong. His wife seemed fine with what he was wearing. It didn’t bother me, he seemed comfortable in his own skin. If it puts smile on your face when you look in the mirror, just go for it.
- Listen to music that you don’t usually listen to. OK, so the kids aren’t around and a Justin Beiber song comes on the radio. Feel free to turn up the volume and sing along. Extra points for singing and bopping along to it at a stoplight at high volume. Just remember you hate that guy when the kids get back in the car.
- Go to new places. Never been to a karaoke bar? Or a Moroccan restaurant? Go and check them out, it may be a fun night out on the town. Who knows, you may even get up the courage to sing a song! Or meet some interesting people.
- Try new recipes. Planning a dinner party is a great excuse to try new recipes. Why go with boring when something new is fun to fix and eat. I always wanted to have a Thanksgiving party with NONE of the traditional foods as I’m not really into them.
- Do something different. Rent some roller blades at the beach, go to a nude beach, take a hike in just Speedos, watch a reality show you usually wouldn’t, call an old friend up out of the blue, march in a parade, join a drumming circle, make a crazy YouTube video and share it with friends, or scream like crazy at a concert.
These are just a few ideas of weirdness that might be worth trying out. Life is too short not to have fun. As for me, well, you are talking to the kilt-wearing, speedo fan, who loves stuffed animals, boy bands, with a shaved head (when he doesn’t have a Mohawk). I’ve embraced my weirdness, and I think we’d all be better off if we all did.
Spice69man is a Los Angeles-based writer and designer. Be sure to check out the latest T-Shirts for sale here, including the Embrace the Weird line. They make great gifts for Valentine’s and birthdays.