The latest season of American Idol (Season 13) will be winding down in a few weeks. This season’s ratings have been down, and people are saying that the contestants are boring. There are rumors about changes in store for Season 14 — a shorter season and only 1 night per week. I am not in favor of either change. I like the fact that get to see your favorites so many times (over so many weeks), versus a show like ‘The Voice”.
As a long-time AI watcher, I can’t say I liked the new Rush Week. I thought it was horrible that they eliminated people before they even hit the stage… especially when some of the ones that got picked, didn’t rise to the occasion. I am sure we would have had a different Top 13, if those other people had been given the chance to sing.
And now this week, the judges used their save for Sam Woolf. He seems like a nice kid, decent voice, a little cute — but there is no way this kid can win. So I think this particular save was wasted. I don’t see him lasting much longer.
Anyways, back to the competition… who do I think will rise to be crowned the champion this season? Read my thoughts on the contestants below:
8. CJ Harris — This singer from Jasper, AL wants to be the next Darius Rucker. He sings country, blues and rock. His performances have been a bit uneven.
7. Sam Woolf — This singer from Bradenton, FL has the teen girl vote in his pocket. He has a decent voice, and plays the guitar. He needs more confidence in his talent.
6. Jessica Meuse — This singer from Slapout, AL is a singer-songwriter with a Sheryl Crow vibe. She also plays guitar. She has a streak of pink hair (which didn’t help Nikki McKibbin in Season 1). Very uneven also. She was good this past week on the 4/2/14 episode, so who knows… she could stay longer.
5. Malaya Watson — This singer from Southfield, MI has one of the biggest voices in the competition. She has tackled soul, gospel and pop. She is a fan of Jennifer Hudson and Bruno Mars.
4. Dexter Roberts — This singer from Fayette, AL wants to be the next Jason Aldean. He is another contestant that favors country rock. He is a good singer, buts needs to make the songs his own versus doing good karaoke versions.
3. Alex Preston — This singer from Mount Vernon, NH has become known for his original arrangements on pop songs. He aims to be a Jason Mraz-type. He is a talented musician who can play many instruments.
2. Jena Irene — This singer from Farmington Hills, MI has a big voice. And a name that doesn’t sound like it’s spelled (she goes by GINA). She likes rock and EDM… artists like Evanescence and Paramore. If she sticks to her styles, she could win it.
1. Caleb Johnson — This rocker from Asheville, NC is a working musician. And it shows! He commands the stage every time on it. He is a bit of a throw-back. But he has the vocal chops and the consistency. I think he will take the crown.
Hopefully Caleb can write his own songs in addition to them hiring some top-notch songwriters and producers for him. I am pulling for him.
KiltManinSoCal is a Los Angeles-based writer and designer. Be sure to check out the latest T-Shirts for sale here, including Marriage Equality and Real Men Wear Kilts lines. They make great gifts for friends, family and loved ones.