I am a creative person — plain and simple. I have been an artistic person ever since I could remember. As a kid, I made a mini amusement park out of cardboard including a working ride too. I enjoyed doing crafts, coloring and making things with my hands. I currently work as a graphic designer. It is not always easy to stay on top of things and to come up with new ideas. Here are some things I do to stay inspired.
- See a movie. I enjoy this art form: from the fluffy and forgettable summer blockbusters to the more serious-minded award season fare. I am inspired by great writing, direction and acting; by how a movie looks and feels.
- Go on a hike. Nothing like getting out of the office and getting some fresh air. I am lucky enough to live in beautiful Southern California where I can hike year round. And there are lots of different and scenic trails to choose from.
- Listen to some music. I can’t imagine living without music. I love all types: pop, rock, dance, R&B, country, jazz, soundtracks and more. Plus there is nothing better than going to a concert too. The lights, costumes, staging, and performance are art in their own way too.
- Go to a museum. Nothing like seeing great artwork. Whether it is something from the Renaissance or something modern, it is always a good time for me. I choose to get to museums a couple of times a year.
- Look at examples around you. One thing I used to do was cut out ads and editorial layouts that I liked from magazines. This is something that I plan on doing again. How did another designer solve a particular problem? Would you do it differently? How about snapping a photo of an interesting package at the supermarket too. Another idea to keep your creative juices flowing.
- Travel to another location. Go check out an area of the city you have never been to. If you have the money, travel to another city or country. Be inspired by all the different cultures, people, places, architecture and more of that new area.
- Look at/interact with animals. I have a cockatiel named AJ, and I love to watch him move around and play. It puts me in a good mood. I wonder how he sees the world. I also love going to zoos and aquariums — to see so many beautiful, interesting and exotic animals. They are a part of our world, and we can learn so much from them.
Those are just a few of my suggestions for keeping your creative energy up. It can be a challenge to do so. I hope you take the time to cultivate and stay inspired as much as I do.
KiltManinSoCal is a Los Angeles-based writer and designer. Be sure to check out the latest T-Shirts for sale here, including Marriage Equality and Real Men Wear Kilts lines. They make great gifts for friends, family and loved ones.