Here’s the sequel to the Boy Band Black Album blog. All these ladies first gained success as singers in groups. Then they all put out solo albums of varying success. Some were bigger than their groups (Beyonce), others not so much (Dawn Robinson). So in no particular order here are the 10 tracks I would put on a Girl Group Black Album:
- Melanie C. — I Turn to You. Otherwise known as Sporty Spice of the Spice Girls. She came out with a great dance song that shared one of Madonna’s producers.
- Belinda Carlisle — Mad About You. She is the lead singer for the Go-Go’s. But this was her first solo single, and one of her best. A fun, flirty pop song that is fun to sing along with.
- Emma Bunton — Maybe. She was Baby Spice in the Spice Girls. This sixties inspired dance song was a perfect fit for her sweet voice.
- Diana Ross — Upside Down. Yes, she is superstar. But she was once part of the Supremes. This funk song from Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers is one of her best solo numbers.
- Dawn Robinson — Party, Party. One of the girls from En Vogue, this song was full of funk and attitude. This will get you moving.
- Geri Halliwell — Look at Me. The first of the Spice Girls to go solo. She was Ginger Spice. It was nice to see her out in front, and having fun on her own.
- Jane Wieldlin — Rush Hour. The 2nd vocalist from the Go-Go’s. She is one of the guitarists and one of the songwriters too for the group. This cute pop song, was her biggest solo hit, other than her duet with the band Sparks (Cool Places).
- Beyonce — Crazy in Love. The song that started it all for her fantastic solo career. Still one of her best, and always great to see her perform it live.
- Michelle Williams — We Break the Dawn. The 2nd of the ladies from Destiny’s Child. She has recorded mostly gospel records as a solo artist, but when she went R&B, we got this jam.
- Kelly Rowland —When Love Takes Over. Recorded with DJ and producer David Guetta, her soaring vocals are what really make this song. The 3rd girl from Destiny’s Child. I am surprised she hasn’t had more solo success since she has a great voice too.
So that’s my list. Did I leave anyone out? Let me know your thoughts. I would love to hear from you. In the meantime, check out the songs on Itunes or on YouTube.
KiltManinSoCal is a Los Angeles-based writer and designer. Be sure to check out the latest T-Shirts for sale here, including Marriage Equality and Real Men Wear Kilts lines. They make great gifts for friends, family and loved ones.