NBC’s The Voice returns this fall for all new episodes with new coaches: Gwen Stefani and Pharrell Williams. This show has taken the country by storm for sure. People love the rotating chairs and the concept of finding a real singer… someone known for their Voice. Adam Levine and Blake Shelton’s popularity have both soared since they have been on the show. But what about the winners? Can you name one, and if so, what is the title of their hit single? So there is definitely a problem with the show as Adam Levine himself suggested. I watched this show the first 3 seasons, but gave up when I saw that you never heard from the winners again. It’s not like the contestants aren’t talented because they are. Read on for my suggestions to make this show relevant to today’s pop charts.
- First off I feel there is a disconnect between the show and the singer’s post Voice careers. With American Idol, they are invested with the winners. The company behind Idol (19 Entertainment) manages them after they win. So that is why the contestants do a tour and an album each for the Top 2 usually. Not so with the Voice. I think in season 1, there was a small tour for the Top Ten. There was a recent tour this past summer too. But not enough to really connect with their fans.
- You can say it is all about the voice all you want. But in reality, looks and personality play a big part too. So are great songs, great producers, and having a marketing budget behind you.
- There’s too much of The Voice on TV. With NBC, running the show 2 times a year, there is not much time for the winner to celebrate. By the time one gets their album out finally, another winner is already being crowned. The most recent winner last May 20th was Josh Kaufman. The previous winner was Tessanne Chin and her album came out July 1. Did anyone care?
- So much fuss is made about the celebrity mentors. Sure, star power is nice. But why not have people more relevant to becoming a star? I am thinking of songwriters, producers, stylists, talent managers, radio DJs… Dianne Warren and David Foster are 2 names that come to my mind who would be good. Pharrell being on there definitely adds something… as for me, I am more familiar with his productions and songs, than I am with his own records.
- NBC has 2 venues that I think should be used to promote Voice winners or contestants… The Today Show and Saturday Night Live. Why not have a winner be the musical guest on SNL, or do a morning concert on The Today Show?
- Why not give us a release date or a preorder option for the winner’s album? Idol has done that for the past 2 winners… Candice’s album was delayed. But Caleb Johnson’s album came out about 2 months after winning Idol. And it is good too. (I guess I was one of few to care… he debuted horribly, so Idol is having a tough time breaking stars these days too.)
- Let the contestants sing their own songs! I have never seen an original song on there yet. Idol is letting the contestants do originals the last few seasons. It gives the viewer a better look into what type of artist they want to be.
So will you be watching this season of The Voice? One of these days someone is going to break out. I might watch it again… and I hope that the winner actually does something this time.
KiltManinSoCal is a Los Angeles-based writer and designer. Be sure to check out the latest T-Shirts for sale here, including Marriage Equality and Real Men Wear Kilts lines. They make great gifts for friends, family and loved ones.