So we are into the Top Ten on American Idol. This is where the competition really gets interesting. Sure, Idol is the older statemen of all singing competitions, but it is still the best of them. Let me remind you, we are at season 12 here. The Voice (3 seasons), The X Factor (2 seasons) have yet to yield the level of talent or cultural relevance, that Idol had by Season 3 (Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken, Ruben Studdard, Fantasia, Jennifer Hudson). Here’s my take who will win the crown for Season 12 (and the order they will leave the competition from 9 to 1):
9. Paul Jolley — He’s described himself as wanting to be the male version of Taylor Swift, doing country pop. While I think there is room in the market for someone like that, I don’t think he is it.
8. Devin Velez — He’s got several things going for him: cute, hispanic and nice voice. He’s been making poor song choices though. I would love to see him let loose more and have some fun.
7. Lazaro Arbos — Cute, stuttering boy has gotten a lot of mileage from his back story. Not sure it will carry him very far. Uneven so far in the vocal department. He may be this season’s Sanjaya.
6. Janelle Arthur — Country has done well in this competition. Her voice does seem to be a bit of a throwback to Patsy Cline. But then again, that is not what is selling in country now.
5. Burnell Taylor — He is definitely a very distinctive singer, and that is a good thing. He might be too mellow for his own good though. He should try some more uptempo numbers.
4. Kree Harrison — Not sure exactly where she is headed, she loves country, rock, blues. But she is good at all of them. Still not seeing a star, even if her voice says otherwise.
3. Amber Holcomb — Another big voiced young woman. If she believes in herself, she will go far. Unfortunately, she is pretty, and the cards are stacked against pretty girls going all the way on Idol.
2. Angie Miller — She’s a singer/songwriter type, and is best when she stays in her lane. We’ll see how she adapts to the theme weeks. She has the appeal of the girl next door.
1. Candice Glover — I remember Candice from her tryouts in past seasons. This is definitely her time, and I am glad she came back. She is a powerhouse, and the one who is “in it to win it” as Randy says. Her take on songs by Mary J. Blige and Jordin Sparks were both excellent. I look forward to hearing her album!
So that’s my predictions! Please sound off and let me know what you think.
Spice69man is a Los Angeles-based writer and designer. Be sure to check out the latest T-Shirts for sale here, including Marriage Equality and Rock the Kilt lines. They make great gifts for friends, family and loved ones.