I am glad that I have grown into a man I can respect and admire. When I decided to buy my first kilt, I wasn’t sure how often I would wear it. I had never been around guys who wear kilts, even though I have Scottish ancestry on my Mom’s side. Now, I don’t see life without one. It fits me… pure and simple. I know that I rock the kilt and other people feel it too. Still looking into getting a traditional Scottish one…let me know if anyone has a good lead on one.
Here are a few celebrities in their kilts. They look handsome and masculine — not to mention hot. They are secure in themselves and make it all seem effortless.
I finally had the nerve to wear one to work, even if it was for Halloween. I was dressed as a Celtic Warrior with face paint, sword and shield. It turned out pretty good — I even won an award for “Most Creative.”
Here’s the Top 10 Reasons to Wear a Kilt:
- Kilts are versatile. They look good dressed up or dressed down. Wear it with a T-shirt and boots and you are ready for hiking. Add a shirt, tie and dress shoes and you are ready for a wedding.
- Kilts express one’s individuality. A man has to be willing to say, “I’m different” to wear one and not be afraid to have people stare. Who doesn’t love an independent, free-thinking guy?
- Kilts are comfortable. Given the genetic equipment they have, more men should be wearing them. Much more comfortable and air conditioned than any pair of pants or shorts.
- Kilts are conversation starters. Wear one and you will be sure to get talked to at a party. And remembered too. As the song says “Let’s give them something to talk about.” The most popular question of course is “What’s under the kilt?”
- Kilts show off a man’s heritage. It means he respects tradition and honors the past. And that he has great admiration for his family history.
- Kilts make you smile. I have never seen a guy wearing one who didn’t seem in a good mood. Smiling is contagious too, the people who see you in it are often smiling too.
- Kilts are fun. Because they move, as you move. They are great for dancing and hiking.
- Kilts show a sense of adventure. Think Braveheart — A sword-wielding, hell-raising, testosterone-filled hunk of man ready to conquer the world.
- Kilts improve your self-esteem. You will feel more comfortable in your own skin. And those around you will notice it too.
- Kilts are sexy. They hide as much as they reveal. Plus don’t forget — the easy access.
Strangers love to compliment me on my kilt. Here are some recent comments:
- A woman saw me in one at church. She said to me “You know who you are.” I most certainly agree.
- I was walking near home and a guy stopped his car to tell me in a very thick Scottish accent that I was looking good in my kilt and told me about the Scottish festival coming up in a few months.
- Started a conversation with a guy waiting in line for the bathroom on New Year’s Eve. I was wearing my beige original Utilikilt at the time. He asked how many I had, and I told him I had four. He said he had one himself and even won the Kilt Man of the Month Contest from Utilikilts.
And lastly, I want to give shout-out to Richard at Skilt Kilt. I found them here on WordPress. They have some cool kilts for sale. I look forward to owning one someday. Check out their site here. And another shout out to Jenneviere at Utilikilts — my favorite source for casual kilts in America.
Cheers to all the Real Men out there wearing kilts. I hope you join us.
If you are in Southern California, please join the California Men’s Gathering (CMG) as we make a trek to the 19th Annual Scottish Festival and Games in Long Beach, CA on Saturday, February 18th, 2012.
Spice69man is a Los Angeles-based writer and designer. Be sure to check out the latest T-Shirts for sale here, including the Real Men Wear Kilts line. They make great gifts for Valentine’s Day and birthdays.